TikTok is one of the fastest-growing social media platforms in the world. Especially businesses targeting young females should consider marketing on TikTok as over 50% of its users are between 18-24 years old, 60% are female, there are few ad competitors so far and the popularity is skyrocketing.
TikTok is a mixture of the two apps “Musical.ly” and “Vines”, where users share short videos with music, filters, and some other features. The content is generally fun and creative.
5 Reasons Why Marketing on TikTok Is Important
Many companies that have successfully advertised on TikTok have experienced huge awareness increases, often with relatively small investments. One example would be the Washington Post, which has obtained over 400.ooo followers in less than a year, which allowed them to shift their audience to a more global, creative, and younger demographic.
Here are some critical factors that will prove to you that TikTok advertising is crucial nowadays:
1. TikTok is the 6th largest social network
The network already has over 800 million monthly active users. That outranks Snapchat, LinkedIn, Twitter, Reddit, and Pinterest. Comparably, Facebook, which is the largest social network worldwide, is estimated to have 2.6 billion monthly active users (in Q1 2020).
3. TikTok is available in over 150 countries
TikTok’s reach is growing rapidly. Nowadays almost every country in the world has access to it. Even China has opened up to the social media network. This is impressive, since Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter, YouTube, etc. have been blocked there. Hence, if you would like to reach the Chinese audience, which is very difficult to reach otherwise, TikTok is the right platform for you!
4. Almost 50% of its users are between 18-24 years old
Here is the full age breakdown:
- 13-17: 27%
- 18-24: 42%
- 25-34: 16%
- 35-44: 8%
- 45-54: 3%
- 55+: 4%
Clearly TikTok is a great marketing platform to reach the Generation Z.
Furthermore, the majority (60%) of the users are female, while 40% are male. Nonetheless, as more young adults are starting to use the network more and more males are joining.
4. TikTok ranks 6th worldwide amongst consumer-spending apps
According to App Annie, consumers spent a record of 23.4 billion dollars on TikTok only in Q1 2020. It is closely behind Tinder, YouTube, and Netflix. This factor is highly important for online marketing since it shows that conversion rates on TikTok are high. This makes sense as it is expected that platforms with young audiences experience higher conversion rates because they are easily persuadable.
5. The average user spends 52 min per day on TikTok
The time spent on TikTok is relatively high. App Annie adds that U.S. TikTok users spend more time on the app than on other streaming services, such as Amazon Prime Video. Additionally, according to TikTok For Business, over 90% of its users open the app several times a day. This is extremely important for effective marketing since the more often a person views an ad within a short period of time, the higher the conversion rates on TikTok will be.
Advertising on TikTok
Now that you know you have to do some marketing on TikTok, the next step is to learn how to do so.
You can either try to create traffic organically (non-paid) or create an ad campaign.
In order to be able to create awareness of your product or service without paying for it, you will have to put a lot of time and effort into your content creation. Here are some recommendations on how to increase your conversion rates.
- You need a content strategy with fun and unique videos.
- Post new videos very frequently and consistently.
- Try to share high-quality videos, as TikTok rewards good quality visuals and audios.
- Try to mimic how featured videos promote their own content.
- Use trending and relevant hashtags.
- Be social! Comment, like, and interact as much as you can with other users.
- But don’t forget: Have consistent branding!
Firstly, you have to set up a campaign objective in which you clearly state the results you want to see from your ads. Some examples of objectives would be obtaining more traffic or having more people install your app.
These are the steps you have to follow to choose you Ad Group:
- Choose your type of TikTok ad placements
- Fill out the ad details
- Choose your target audience
- Set up a budget and schedule for your TikTok ad
- Choose optimization goals and a bidding method
There are various possibilities to advertise yourself on TikTok. Some types of ads are:
- Brand takeover (ads that show up as soon as you open TikTok)
- In-feed native video (biddable ads that show up in the user’s video stream). You can purchase them using the PPC model.
- Branded hashtag challenge (unique and engaging hashtag challenge campaign)
- TopView (full-screen video)
- Branded effects (brandedn filters and lenses, similar to Instagram and Snapchat)
TikTok’s ad rankings are mainly determined by a combination of their quality, their relevance and bidding price. This is very similar to other social media ad ranking methods, such as Facebook’s.
Therefore, focus on optimizing your content the same way you would do it for organic advertisements: by making sure to keep it relevant, catchy, and trending.